Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Weekend Chat Line...Hinsdale Art Fair (packed and preparing for rain)

I don't know about you but I am always prepared for rain...in fact the crate just inside the passenger side door is ALL rain stuff! It has tarps, rolls of lighter weight plastic, rain coats for my self and my helpers, plastic bags ranging in size from small to large heavy weight carpenter bags, a change of clothes, rubber thongs, regular tent stakes to hold down tarps and paper towels and extra absorbent towels to wipe off tent. (Ops...forgot there are two fans in there also)...so I can cool down after the rain!!

This sounds like the weekend that I could use it all. The forecast is for severe weather on Friday (for set up) and storms again on Saturday, with highs in the low to mid 80's and HUMID. My tent has survived before when others went down (I have a Trimline), and I stake all four corners with "two foot stakes" special made by a metal artist...but I will still worry. I almost have to set up Friday afternoon as it's the only time I will have help. I would never make it in time if I wait until Saturday am...and the weather doesn't sound much better then.

EVERYTHING is either in plastic or in a covered crate except my desk and chair. I will probably leave them in the car...along with my framed originals...but the rest of the stuff (at least my thought for now) I pan to put in the tent on Friday, rain or shine. I've carted stuff in the rain before and would rather do it the day before the art fair than the day of ...at least it doesn't matter what you look like then. I won't hang my art and everything will be setting "low" to the ground...in case the tent does go in an overnight storm. PRAY!

As you can see my van is packed like a puzzle and everything has a place or it wont fit...which means the packing is always my job and my preference. I carry so much stuff that in the beginning I used to make a list of sorts...as to where everything went! Trust me, I did refer to it.

The last image is the view from the passenger seat out the rear window. I try to keep it so I can see out the back using the rear view mirror. I hate it when I can't see out the back...but there have been times when I couldn't. Even now, with well laid plans...things never go back in exactly as they were and the only place for it to go is up.

I have to work in the salon for awhile Friday morning (6-10 am) and hope to be on the road by 11am...with road construction it will be around a three hour drive. By the way, those silver "packages" are the "STIFFY BAGS" I spoke of in my newsletter...my greatest find ever!! A little expensive but with care should last several years. They've made such a difference in my packing my framed pieces,...they are padded, reflect the sun, and protect from moisture. "Perfect for this weekend."

I'll be staying in with my brother in Grays Lake...and will try to monitor and post your comments from his computer...otherwise it will be Monday before they will be up for others to read. So if you don't see them right away, please check back the first of the week.

So I ask: Have you ever set up for a show in the rain? Do you do any special preparations for bad weather? How do you travel, do you leave your work up all night or pack it away, what advise to you have for others? Pass on your "special finds", packing and display tips.
The "Chat Line" is open...I'm anxious to here what you have to say. And as always, please feel free to comment on what others have to say.

Have a dry weekend and I'll give you an up-date Monday sometime...hopefully with photos.

Marsha


Links:
Website ...Marsha Robinett Fine Art
My Squidoo ...Drawing Techniques

PS...make a "Point"...leave a comment

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Did it once with a group. Thankfully I didn't have the major set up jobs, but I still never want to do it again.
Good for you though! I admire you for doing it and hope that you do well.
I know selling is one of the objectives but becoming known and letting people know how to find your art is another plus.
GOOD LUCK, Marsha. May the weather and the people you meet smile on you!

Marsha Robinett said...

Marian,
Thanks for your comments and your input. Art Fairs are very hard work. I wish I had another venue, but for now this is the best I can do. You're absolutely right...even if you don't sell a lot, there is no better place to be seen by a huge volume of people. Who knows what kind of follow up there may be in the future.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin