Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Blue Man Group....what a treat!

My New York trip was wonderful. My flight out was perfect, the flight home...we just won't talk about this! While I was there we simply enjoyed each others company. I ate until I thought I would pop, laughed until I hurt, and my daughter and I stayed up late talking like teenagers!
My grandson introduced me to the world of video games, patiently teaching me to move a marble through a precarious course of curves, jumps, and sudden drops...the latter resulting in the need to "start over", which happened often.

On Sunday we took the train into the Manhattan to see the "Blue Man Group". The Blue Man Group is a creative organization started by Phil Stanton, Chris Wink, and Matt Goldman; the performance is centered on a trio of mute performers, called Blue Men, who present themselves in blue grease paint and wear latex bald caps, face coverings, and black clothing. Blue Man Group's theatrical acts have evolved over the years but always incorporate rock music (with an emphasis on percussion), odd props, audience participation, sophisticated lighting, and huge amounts of paper!

The first 4 to 6 rows of the theater are known as the "poncho section". Audience members are provided with plastic ponchos in order to protect them from various food, paint, and and other substances, which get thrown, ejected, or sprayed from the stage. The show was family-oriented, humorous, energetic and employed thought-provoking satire on modern life.

I had some idea of what to expect yet was amazed by the multi-sensory experience that combined theater, percussion music, art, science and vaudeville into a form of entertainment that was like nothing else I had ever seen....a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Teddy the grandson. I saw Blue Man Group too. It was really amazing. There was cool music, funny actions, and 3 guys painted blue. It was tons of fun. some people put down the pros and cons of different shows, games, clothing, etc. The only things that I can put down for Blue Man Group are pros. Even though the adults paid for it, and I don't know how much it cost, I would still say that it was more than worth the money. Overall, Blue Man Group far exceeded my expectstions and it's always a good day when you see a broadway show with family.

Marsha Robinett said...

Teddy,
I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my visit and I agree...the Blue Man Group definitely exceeded my expectations. It was such fun seeing them with you and your mom.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin