Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Weekend Chat Line...Working Under Pressure?


I've finished the layout work on the large commission I've been writing about and today will start the fun part...developing the shadows and highlights that make the drawing come to life.

(my photo reference)

The subject of this commission is Abraham Lincoln...so there isn't a lot of creativity involved except for my chosen composition and of course the infusion of my "style" into the drawing.

Abraham Lincoln was born on Feb. 12, in 1809. Illinois will be celebrating Lincoln's 200th birthday all next year and of course my home town of Lincoln and our local college, "Lincoln College" (what else!), will be celebrating big time.

This piece was commissioned by a patron of Lincoln College to be donated to their Lincoln Museum. It's been quite an honor to be asked to do this commission but with the short time line for completion (August 19), it puts me under considerable pressure to produce.

Historically, I work well under pressure...in fact, I've even been known to thrive when the pressure is on. I just pray that this proves true in this instance!

Well I'm off to the drawing board, will try to find time to give you a progress report next week... perhaps with a photo or two if I have time to pause for a "snap".

So I ask: How about you...do you work well under pressure? Does the tension caused by the deadline closing in give you an "adrenaline rush" or does it push you into utter confusion?
The "Chat Line" is open...I look forward to your comments and please feel free to comment on what others have to say. Remember...what you say blesses others.

Enjoy the weekend...do something special for yourself.

Sincerely,
Marsha


Links:

Website ...Marsha Robinett Fine Art
My Squidoo ...Drawing Techniques

PS...make a "Point"...leave a comment

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often have done my best work under pressure as well. In 1984 I put 200 hours of work into a portrait of a friend, and had to put in insane hours of work to get the work finished and framed to be able to get it into a gallery showing that our drawing group at that time put on. It was tough, but the pressure puts us in the frame of mind to be more efficient and productive I think.
Terry

Jeanette Jobson said...

What a great commission for you Marsha. I know you'll do a beautiful job with it.

I do like some pressure behind me to push me to the finish line. Left to my own devices I procrastinate. However, I have become a little better about getting prepared for shows instead of creating stress for myself by running around like a lunatic the night before!

Marian Fortunati said...

Congratulations... They chose well and I'm sure your portrait will be worthy of their institutuion.
Sometimes pressure helps me but other times it paralyzes me. Probably just like most people.... Although I probably produce more work under pressure, I don't think it's necessarily better.

Christine Perry | Graphite Art said...

Congratulation on this commission! I look forward to your update on this.

Yes, I seem to work better under pressure and a deadline, although afterwards I just collapse and don't want to do nothing for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marsha!
Good luck from Brazil!!
Unfotunatelly I am the opposite, the pressure reduces my energy. Sincerily, I would like to be as you, because the world works under pressure.

Unknown said...

Not an every day commission...good stuff. I am avidly awaiting your interpretation of such a well known figure.

Marsha Robinett said...

WOW...been too busy to check back. Such wonderful comments and encouragement from all of you.

A quick update here..."Mr. Lincoln" is progressing nicely and there has been a reprieve on the due date...Yea!! The new date for completion is late Sept. or early Oct.

I was notified of the change a couple of days ago. There really is someone up there looking out for you...that cares about the little things in your life.

I was really getting concerned if I would be able to meet the deadline I'd been given.

Now I can slow down a little and relax. I'll be posting some photos in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words...YOU are all indeed a blessing.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin