Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Announcing 2007 Literary Contest Winners

The Extraordinary Pencil
"Sponsors High School Literary Contest"

I am pleased to announce the winners of the "First Annual High School Literary Contest". It was interesting to see which of my drawings the students chose and how it stimulated their imaginations. In all cases the student was affected by the art in a way that I had never thought of. As I have said in the past, there are two stories to be told...the one that inspires the artist and the one that inspires the viewer. Every piece of art has many stories to tell if we simply stop long enough to observe.



First Place: Amanda Podbelsek $50.00
Amanda likes to read and is active in tennis, basketball, and softball. She is also a member of Math Club and the National Honor society. Amanda plans to attend college after graduation and major in civil engineering with a minor in math.

Amanda chose "The Fork and Spoon Club" as her subject...which is one of my personal favorites. To quote Amanda, "My attention was first drawn to the two stubborn forks; they are the only pieces of silverware lying the opposite direction. As a high school student, the forks speak to me as a symbol of individuality....From "The Fork and Spoon Club", one can be reminded that, "What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

Second Place: Michelle Koester $30.00
Michelle is a 16 year old sophomore. She is involved in the Creative Writing Club and enjoys expressing herself through her poetry.

Michelle's poem uses the drawing "Cracked on Black" as it's subject. For me, the artist, this drawing was all about shadows and reflections...for Michelle it was about "life" and just how fragile it can be. A quote from Michelle's poem.

" I am completely broken
There's no saving me now
If mom saw me like this
She would have a cow
Pestering me constantly
She'd keep on asking how
How did I end up this way
Seems like you were fine just yesterday
And look at you now."

Third Place: There was a third place winner chosen but I am sorry to say that it could not be awarded nor can her poem be posted because the recipient did not turn in the required signed release form.

I want to thank all who took the time in those last rushed days of the school year to enter the contest, and my congratulations to the winners...we will definitely do this again next year.

Amanda's descriptive essay and Michelle's poem will be published in their entirety next month. Be sure to check back, I think you will enjoy reading them.

Congratulations,
Marsha Robinett

PS...make a "Point"...leave a comment

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin